It’s hard to tell by the weather but November has arrived and there are just about six weeks left for holiday shopping. And one of the banes for many is finding those special gifts for teachers and service providers, such as the postal person, nail specialist, and gifts for secret Santa events at work.
To help residents get a jump on the shopping to-do list, Patch will offer up a weekly list of options that can be found right in the village business district. The weekly suggestion list will also include good possibilities for stocking stuffers and unique gifts for that unique person.
If you’d like to suggest a gift item, or share shopping tips, email us at email@example.com and we’ll include your input and suggestions on next week’s gift list.
Here are this week’s five holiday gift suggestions that won’t break the bank and will also help support the village’s business district.
Shopping local is a great way to thank village storeowners for all the great community programs and events they sponsor in the community during the year.
- Babylon Village isn’t called ‘restaurant row’ just for the heck of it. A gift certificate for a lunch or dinner is always a great gift idea. The eatery choices along Main Street and Deer Park Avenue range from fine Italian and Asian cuisine, to Americana fare, and from fancy to simple. What high school babysitter wouldn’t love a Subway meal?
- Stop me if you’ve heard this adage: the plumber’s house is always the one with a leaky faucet. That’s because plumbers always out fixing someone else’s annoying drip. That’s often the case with beauty and salon professionals. So treat your favorite colorist or nail technician to a mani/pedi or facial at one of the village’s terrific salons.
- Who doesn’t like a movie date night, whether it’s romantic evening for two or just catching up with a few girlfriends? A gift card for a movie, popcorn and candy item at the Babylon Cinema is a great gift for your favorite teacher who very likely has enough mugs, apple trinkets and cutesy frames to last a lifetime.
- Make it a warm holiday season with some fashionable gloves, mittens or a new scarf. No woman has enough shoes, or accessories, after all. Village boutiques offer a wide range of options to choose from and you may very well find something to stuff in your own stocking.
- The winter season usually prompts more than a few of us to get some exercise given it can be too cold to do the evening walk around Argyle Lake on most winter evenings. Check in with local fitness centers on special deals and gift certificates for that friend who’s been dying to try yoga or experience a kick boxing class. And then offer to join them and get healthy together.