On Monday, October 1, a new company - EnCon - started picking up Town of Babylon residents' garbage and recyclables.
This change from BSSI to EnCon came after a series of recent hearings that rescinded a contract with Jody Enterprises that would've replaced a long-time contract with BSSI at a lower cost to taxpayers and awarded a contract to Encon, following a recycling scheme that was uncovered by Suffolk Police involving several employees at Jody Enterprises over the Summer.
(See the related stories below.)
Prior to the change Town officials offered a list of what residents should know in a same statement on its website.
The list included the following:
- Pick-up days will remain the same: "Your garbage, recyclables and yard waste will be picked up on the same days they’ve always been. Consult the 2012 Town of Babylon Recycling Calendar for more details."
- Pick-up times might change: "The exact time your garbage is collected may change. It is recommended that you put out your garbage, recyclables and yard waste the night before your scheduled collection day."
- The phone number will remain the same, 631-491-3200: "In the event you have any problems with your service, simply call the same number you've always called."
- Service level will remain the same: "Under the new contract you'll get the same great service you’re used to, while taxpayers will save significantly."
However, if residents experience any problems with their garbage service, Town officials advise residents to please call 631-491-3200.
What do you think now that EnCon has taken over garbage collection?
Do think the new company has been effective so far in picking up trash and recyclables?
Share your thoughts in the comments section, below.
- Babylon Town Garbage Collection: How's It Going?
- Babylon Town Garbage Collector Changes on October 1
- Updated: Babylon Town Board Awards Trash Collection Contract
- Babylon Town Board to Discuss Garbage Contract in Light of Arrests
- Babylon Town Supervisor Rich Schaffer: I Never Signed Trash Contract
- Suffolk County DA: Lindenhurst Man Pleads Not Guilty in Recycling Scheme
- SCDA: Lindenhurst Man Arrested in Recycling Scheme
- Babylon Town Chooses New Trash Collector