Hurricane Sandy is now over 24-hours from our area, but her effects are still being felt throughout Babylon Village and nearby communities. Many of our local schools, businesses and organizations are remaining closed with power still out, roads still blocked and some homes in the flood zone completely uninhabitable.
If you own a business or organization and would like to announce its closure, please do so by adding a comment below or email the editor.
Closed or Cancelled for Wednesday, October 31st
- All Babylon Schools
- All athletic practices, after school and evening activities are cancelled
- All North Babylon Schools
- All West Babylon Schools
- St. John the Baptist High School (West Islip)
- Alphabet Kids
- Just Kids Early Childhood Center (Lindenhurst)
- St. Joseph's Nursery School
- The Early Childhood Center of West Babylon
- United Methodist Nursery School
- West Babylon Public Library
- Most Babylon businesses along Main Street and Deer Park Avenue (except Monsoon). The Halloween in the Business District event is, all likelihood, cancelled due to power outages.
- Coastal Treasures
- Positions Dance Studio
- Post Office Cafe
- Posh Salon
- Fitness Incentive (will open if there is power at 4:45 a.m. check)
- Most areas south of Montauk Highway (Main Street) have limited access – only residents and emergency personel will have some ability to manuever in the area.
Please note it does appear Babylon Village Hall will be open during the day, however like most of the village, it does not have power at this time.